Wednesday 24 February 2010

Sonic the Hedgehog 4


Right, well, here's the 'badnik' concept art design I did for Sonic 4. Being a long time fan off the series (well, until Adventure, that is) I thought it'd be cool to see this guy from Sonic CD in the game.

I'm actually really glad that Sega's decided to go back to the 2D games, call it Sonic 4, and totally FORGET the rest of the Sonic games they've been churning out for over a decade now.

Though it makes me wonder why now? Sonic 4 is the game that should have been released on the Sega Saturn back in 1995. Nintendo probably has something to do with it, since they released the New Super Mario Bros game, and I guess that got Sega thinking. Not that I'm complaining of course. I'm glad they're finally seeing some sense (or so it seems for the moment).

Sonic & Knuckles was the last GOOD Sonic game in my opinion. Even though Sonic Adventure was Sonic's first venture into the 3D world, and I was happy when it finally came out... I kind of knew in my heart, that this game sucked balls a little. Bad controls, stupid characters like Big the Cat and "E-whatshisface-Gamma"... Amy and her bastard hammer.. Knuckles' totally bollocks treasure-hunting levels. Bad music. Argh! I just wanted to run around as Sonic through some lush environments, jump on bad guys' heads and collect Chaos Emeralds in the Special stages before having an epic showdown with Dr Robotnik and his latest creation.
Unfortunately all the good stuff was to be replaced by an over-crowded cast who you're forced to play with and take pretty much all emphasis off of Sonic as the hero and main character of the franchise. And teaming up with Robotnik at the end of practically every game since SA1 is just... ugh.
Anyway, we'll see if this new instalment is any good. It doesn't seem to be that different from Sonic 1, which in my opinion isn't such a great thing.. but hey. I will give it a chance.
JUST... PLEASE DON'T BURN MY HEART AGAIN, SEGA.


2 comments:

  1. See what is nice (And this is linked) is that a lot of companies are going back to 2D. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, just as they should be, but with graphical updates. Sonic was much better in 2D and same goes with Mario for me.

    Now if only the movie industry would get a grip and stop going Now in 3D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonic the hedgehog 4 holds some promise. Sega have yet to f**k up with their more classic Sonic offerings for handhelds as they have with their 3D console outings. So them going the 2D route for consoles is a VERY good look. I'm not keeping my hopes up though. And it kinda bothers me they're breaking it up into episodes.

    And as for Sonic CD? It was my fave Sonic game and still is. I STAN for that soundtrack. I'm SO glad the UK version got the kick ass Japanese soundtrack and not the crappy US one.

    ReplyDelete